6.06.2007

The Police concert - Seattle, WA June 6, 2007

Fiction Plane, Sting's son's (from his first marriage) band opened for The Police here at Key Arena in Seattle, Washington. Joe Sumner definitely looks like his dad, but like Kate Hudson, there are nuances of the famous parent, but an identity separate enough from them that they do not mimick them.

Unfortunately, the sound system wasn't the greatest, IMO (not for FP anyway). While I could hear Joe sing, I couldn't hear distinct words until he sang the final song called something along the lines of "Fuck yourself, fuck your cigarettes" about Joe's chain-smoking "skanky ex-girlfriend" (his words).

Set was about 45 minutes long and the group will probably have some mediocre success, but they are no The Police.

The Police came out and the crowd got to their feet (within a few songs the AARP group sat down). I'm actually glad I got the $90 seats vs. the $200 because the $200 seats were floor seats and that entire group stood up and stayed up the entire concert so if you were short or were standing behind Shaq you just screwed yourself out of $200. My seat was literally the first row of the stadium seating behind the floor seats and they were fine. My only distraction was that my section seemed to be the entrance for the sneaks who were trying to get into the $200 section by jumping "the wall" and then getting escorted out by security.

Sting sang all the old faves and some that I personally didn't recognize but were easily from the early Police years. I actually have a newfound respect for Andy Summers - you could tell from his guitar solos that his talent was never showcased on The Police albums. I always had a crush on Stewart Copeland and he still looks good to me to this very day. Sting, of course, was his posturing self. His old-age gut and his skinny legs gave him a Mick Jagger look about him when he was dancing around, but his voice is still stellar, IMO. The trio definitely looks like card-carrying members of AARP. The first few songs looked like they had already tired the band out, but as they got going, the more energy they seemed to get. Sting seemed a little breathless at some points and Copeland looked like a dog panting for a bowl of water, but the group was good. I'd certainly see them again (before Summers becomes a spokesperson for Advil and Aspercreme).

A cute thing I thought was funny was that Summers guitar strap said "God" something on it and I thought, "Oh no, is he a born-again Christian?" When the cameras finally zoomed in on his guitar I could see that the strap was not evangelistic, but a South Park strap with "Why did God kill Kenny?!" LOL

Encore included my personal favorite songs, "King of Pain" and "Every Breath You Take" (my Mom's favorite song) but I sneaked out on the last chords of "Every" because it was about the twentieth time they sang the chorus, dragging it out (and I hate that). I speed-walked (and you know me, "Slow Walker, Texas Ranger") - that's no easy feat - over to the shirt booth (which I stupidly could not find earlier) to buy my overpriced souvenir shirt.

The only thing I'm bummed about is that I totally could have taken my camera in. They checked bags, but I didn't bring one and could have easily slipped my cam in my back pocket.

If anyone's going to the concert in L.A. - feel free to take my camera and I'll show you how to video the show!

No comments: